Welcome to Becca's Heart for FACS Education

From many years ago as member in 4-H and FHA clubs, my love grew for Home Economics-arts and teaching. As a certified FACS teacher of grades 6-12 in Illinois, I have a passion for all things home, family, and community related!

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Attachments--new pillow examples for Intro to FACS classes

Sewing projects 1, 2, & 3: small accent pillows building up basic machine sewing skills

Straight stitching, back stitching, reinforcing, and pivoting are the basic machine sewing skills learned with the 3 pillows photographed below:



Top photo is #3: students have to use scraps from their 2 coordinating fabrics and create a pillow that shows more complexity than pillow #2. They must also hand sew on 2 buttons minimum. I've added ribbon and rick-rack that I've tacked-stitched on to be part of my complexity. The back side which I'm not showing has a 4-square quilt block like #2 but I've added some batting and free-form machine stitched a large S into the center of that quilt block before I sewed the 2 sides together.

Middle photo is #2's quilt block. The other side is seen in the bottom photo on the left side (bandanna print).

Bottom photo on the right is #1. The gray, white, and black print fabric is used on both sides.

These are approximately 9" x 9". Working in rural poverty Midwest school district, I needed to keep costs down, so I require the smaller size pillows needing just 1/4 yard each of 2 coordinating fabrics.

Students feel so very accomplished after completing all 3 pillows!

No comments:

Post a Comment